Similar to the old saying “Physician, heal thyself” … I certianly should live by those words.

Today I was chasing down a problem on one of our systems at work … a program that works fine on V5R2 wasn’t working on V5R3.

I was 99% sure the problem was in an i5/os server program … and even found a APAR that described the problem almost to the tee. Unfortunately, the PTF identified in the APAR didn’t help.

So I called IBM and opened a PMR … I got transfered to Colleen in the languages group, who looked at the job log and source fragment I sent, and sent me a reply indicating that the following link might be useful: http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200505/msg00900.html.

DOH! Maybe I should have done a bit more research myself before opening up the PMR.

I made the adjustments identified in the MIDRANGE-L posting and, lo and behold, the program worked perfect.

About David:
David is a Principal Software Engineer for PTC, Integrity Business Unit. He cut his teeth on the S/36 and has more than 25 years of experience on the IBM i / System i / iSeries / AS400. He primarily works in Java and ILE RPG specializing in cross platform integrations. David has received the COMMON Distinguished Service award and was named an IBM Power Systems Champion. David is an active volunteer with the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure fundraising bike ride. He is currently captain of Team RED Chicago. David runs and maintains midrange.com. His personal blog is Geeky Ramblings.